1. Witch! Back in the day (sometime before Charmed made being a witch look awesome) I’m thinking the 1400’s-1700’s, the fear of witches was rampant. Thousands of women were stripped and searched for ‘marks of the devil.’ These included any abnormal features, such as moles, birthmarks, freckles or even red hair. Considering that redheads have two out of the four signs, they were shit out of luck. As a result, many were either burned at the stake or drowned.
2. Red hair is unlucky (I take personal offense to this one). In ancient Egypt, red hair was viewed as so unlucky that they would offer redheaded men and women up as sacrifices to the god Osiris in hopes of wiping out the tint. It didn't help that red hair was associated with Osiris's nemesis, the god Set.
3. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! During this period of rampant religious paranoia and power abuse, red hair was believed to be a sign that the owner had stolen the very fires of hell. The consequence for this was...guess…. being burned at the stake! Hmmm.... maybe red hair was unlucky.
4. Vampire! (finally a win...relatively) According to Greek folklore, redheads turned into vampires after they died. If it’s anything like True Blood, I’m okay with this.
5. Forever unclean. At some crazy point in history, people actually believed that red hair was a sign that the individual was conceived during menstruation! This resulted in such taunts as: ‘red knob’ or ‘tampon tops’. Not cool guys.
6. ‘Redheads are emotionally un-housebroken’ said Aristotle supposedly. I honestly don’t know how to respond to this one. But if it gets me out of doing the dishes, I can deal.