The world of makeup can be a daunting place to enter. You can spend hours standing in the makeup aisle asking yourself what is essential? What should I save for later? What will actually work with my complexion/ hair color/ eye color? As a redhead even more so… When I first started to wear makeup I had a cover-up stick that matched my fair skin poorly and a black mascara that clashed with my overall barely-there makeup look. I didn’t know any better and, consequently, I spent the better part of my teens making poor makeup choices. My allowance was wasted on unflattering eyeshadow colors and foundations that clashed.
So in hopes of sparing a fellow redhead from such awkwardness, here is a list of redhead essentials:
1. Sheer tinted foundation with SPF: For the freckly redhead, the worst thing you can do is buy a heavy foundation. First, it’s exceptionally difficult to match a foundation with fair skin, so the heavier the foundation the more obvious the miss match. Second, freckles are a gift! Don’t cover them up! Try a Tinted Moisturizer or CC Cream as they even out skin tone and conceal imperfections without covering up everything else as well.
2. Brown mascara: Redheads have unique makeup up needs and this is particularly evident with mascara. For many redheads, mascara does not simply serve to enhance the lashes but to give them visible lashes period. This means that they are putting on more than a couple of swipes. For the super ging, black can appear glaringly harsh against her pale skin. It is an extremely unnatural contrast. Brown mascara, or an auburn, offers a more natural look - while still enhancing the lashes. The same goes for eyeliner- unless you want the goth look (which is in itself awesome) brown liner is the way to go.
3. Brown Eyeliner: A smudge of light brown liner on the tops of the eyelids accents the eyes without clashing like a black liner would.
4. Cover-up stick: For the obstinate blemishes, a light cover-up is recommended.
5. Tinted gloss: Add a bit of color to your lips with a rosy gloss. Don’t be afraid to be bold!
Have some funny makeup stories? Share them with us and your fellow redheads!